image desccription
NM Energy$mart

NM Energy$mart Program

MFA's NM Energy$mart Program makes homes more comfortable and more energy efficient at no cost to the homeowner or renter. Homes receive an average of $6,000 in energy efficiency upgrades through the program, which may include insulation, caulking, new windows and/or new heating systems. Families can expect a savings on their utility costs of $350 to $500 each year.

The NM Energy$mart Program receives funding from the Department of Energy, LIHEAP and from utility companies such as New Mexico Gas and PNM. MFA awards these funds to community action agencies, nonprofit organizations or local governments through a competitive request for proposals process based on their experience and capacity to perform the required repairs.


If you qualify for the NM Energy$mart program, and your application is next on the waiting list,  a residential energy efficiency professional will come to your home and evaluate it for energy efficiency and health and safety factors. Based on the evaluation, a recommendation will be made for customized upgrades that will make your home as energy efficient and safe as possible. The service providers will explain to you what work will be done and schedule a time to come to your home to start the work. Throughout the weatherization process, the health and safety of your household remains a priority. After the work is complete, an inspection will be performed, which may include MFA staff at a later date.

NM Energy$mart services may include some of the following:

Air leakage reduction

  • Repair or replacement of broken glass
  • Dooor thresholds, door sweeps, and weather-stripping
  • Sealing/caulking cracks
  • Exterior door repair and sometimes replacement
  • Fireplace dampers
  • Duct sealing


  • Attic insulation
  • Wall insulation
  • Crawlspace/mobile home belly insulaiton
  • Duct insulation

Base load measures (Items that do not change based off season):

  • LED light bulbs
  • New energy efficient refrigerators
  • Water heater insulation blankets
  • Water heater pipe insulation
  • Low flow showerheads and aerators

Health and Safety

  • Stove pipe repair/replacement
  • Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
  • Furnace repair/replacement
  • Water heater repair/replacement
  • Ventilation fans
  • Appliance testing for combustion gases

Heating Measures

  • Thermostat controls
  • Heating repair and/or replacement

Incidental Repairs

  • Lumber to frame or repair windows and doors
  • Minor roofing materials to patch or repair leaks
  • Minor electrical repair
  • Venting replacement for water heaters and furnaces
  • Repairs necessary to carry out weatherization activities

It is not guaranteed that any of the items listed will be installed in your home.  Any attempt to demand that certain items be installed in the home or uncooperative demeanor may result in program deferral.

Do I Qualify?

Whether you own or rent, live in a single-family home or a mobile home, you can apply for assistance. If you rent, your landlord must sign an agreement that gives you certain tenancy protections. This agreement must be signed before weatherization services can be performed.

Preference is given to persons over 60 years of age, persons with disabilities and families with children. If someone in your household receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), you are automatically income eligible for program services using DOE funds.  Other requirements may apply.

To be eligible for the Energy$mart Program, your household income must be at or below 200 percent of federal poverty guidelines. (See chart below.)

Family Size - Income

1 - $24,980

2 - $33,820

3  -$42,660

4 - $51,500

5 - $60,340

6 - $69,180

7 - $78,020

8 - $86,860

Add $8,840 for each additional person over 8 in a household.

Where do I Apply?

Weatherization work is performed by two service providers, one of whom provides services in the northern part of the state, the other the in the southern.  Any home can be eligible, whether owned or rented, single family or multifamily. To apply for the NM Energy$mart Program, please contact the service provider from the list below. Be sure to call the provider that serves your county.

1. Northern New Mexico

Central New Mexico Housing Corporation
703 Osuna Road NE, Suite 2
Albuquerque, NM 87113
Phone: (505) 345-4949
Toll Free: (855) 345-4949
Fax: (505) 344-4245

Call Central New Mexico Housing Corporation for service in the following areas: Counties: McKinley, Cibola, Sandoval, Bernalillo, Valencia, Torrance, Guadalupe, Quay, San Juan, Rio Arriba, Taos, Los Alamos, Santa Fe, Colfax, Mora, San Miguel, Harding, Union.

2. Southern New Mexico

Southwestern Regional Housing & Community Development Corporation
2480 Lakeside Drive, Suite C
Las Cruces, NM 88007
Phone: (575) 546-4181
Fax: (575) 546-4243

Call Southwestern Regional Housing Community Development Corporation for service in the following areas: Eddy, Grant, Sierra, Luna, Dona Ana, Lincoln, Otero, Chaves, Hidalgo, Lea, Catron, Socorro, Curry, DeBaca, Roosevelt. The agency also provides service for the Mescalero Apache Nation.

Housing Services Directories

MFA's Housing Services Directory has listings for lenders, REALTORS, governmental agencies, property owners and managers and not-for-profit organizations.

download pdf >

Request a copy of MFA's Housing Directory at no charge.

link to more info >

Agencies that provide rent and utility assistance.

link to more info >

Agencies that provide emergency shelter and assistance.

link to more info >

All RFP Templates and Links

link to more info >

Energy$mart RFP

link to more info >

External Audit Services RFP

link to more info >

State Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) RFP

link to more info >
Income Limits

HOME Income Limits and Maximum Rents

link to more info >

ESG Income Limits and Fair Market Rents

link to more info >